I was more worried about getting power to the JAMMA connector. I was planning on using some old Molex male connectors, strip the wires on the harness, and just wrap, solder, and heat shrink the connectors, and insert them into a similar Molex connector and call it good. I realized, though, that I had a project fall on the wayside that I was planning on using Molex connectors with. After some digging, I manage to find those connector and was able to use those.
The next thing was the RGBS connector. I didn't have anything (I thought, anyway) that would work with it. But again, I had some connectors that would kinda work.
These connectors were the wrong pitch for the project, but for the time being, for testing, these worked fine.
...or so I thought.
I had a JAMMA game that I could test it out with. I got power and video wired up from the fresh connectors. Powered everything up...nothing. I heard the snap and crackle from the monitor and a slight hum, but no image on the screen. I know that the chassis and monitor was getting power; the screen crackled when I put my finger on the screen, and when I was removing the RGBS connections, I got shocked from a nearby cap.
I'm not sure if the JAMMA game was bad, because I dropped it while it was in the box while I was transferring things to my car at PRGE. I'm hoping that's not the case.
There is also the chance that the pin I put sync on was incorrect or not making the proper connection. In the meantime, I ordered the proper connector for the RGBS connections. I should get them in a few days.
Since I have to wait for the connector to come in, I moved back to the Neo Geo. I needed to remove the main board, clean it up a bit, and prep it to receive some new parts, also check on the battery for leaking.
I'm kinda glad I checked on that battery...because it was starting to leak out.
Sorry, I was kinda too focused on getting work done, I forgot to snap some pics. Anyway, you can see the speckling in that circle where the battery was. The bottom of the battery was showing corrosion, whereas the top of the battery was fine. I also removed the resistor marked "470", as it's not needed since I'm replacing it with a coin cell battery holder. I've done the same mod to my CMVS. I'm gonna wait to install the coin cell battery holder until I can get a final part ordered.
The bottom board of the MV4.
I've done pretty much all I can do at this point. It's all a waiting game for parts now.






No comments:
Post a Comment