Sunday, November 10, 2019

Neo Geo internals DONE!...almost...

Just need to a battery removal and UniBIOS installation remain then I can totally close up the cabinet and worry about the external things.

As it goes, I finally had time to finish up the control panel. I stopped by the hardware store to get new carriage bolts to hold the overlay to the control panel. I was gonna try and just remove the rust from the stock (or what I assumed were stock) carriage bolts and just paint the tops of them black. But after soaking them in vinegar to remove the rust (it worked perfect, BTW), I decided just to go get new hardware. Luckily, there were some carriage bolts that were already colored black.


 
Hmm, maybe I should've focused in on the mounting hardware I bought...oh well. Overlay installed and fastened into place, buttons and joysticks installed and locked in. I swapped the joysticks from the other cabinet I had with the lightly rusted ones that were in the Neo. I forgot to snap a pic of the switches that I changed out. I reused the buttons (cleaned, of course) and used some switches from Amazon for the joysticks and buttons on the board.


 I was concerned about this wave that I had after installing the overlay. I tried my best to get it to lay flat, but in the end, the overlay won. I may revisit this and get a brand new overlay to replace this one.


 Here it is, back at its home. All reconnected and working fine. You can see the new carriage bolts that I got for it here, as well as seeing the new paint job.


The coin LCDs should be showing 00, but it's been showing 80 pretty much since I got it. Again, something to either revisit or just let go.

Now that the control panel is done and tested and working, I decided to work on the test and service switches. They did work, but the switches were disconnected or gone. I also had hopes and aspirations of changing the power switch from a bat style toggle switch to a nicer, illuminated toggle on the panel. I bought the switches just thinking that it's a standard SPST toggle switch, but it wasn't. It looked like the switch is a DPST toggle. So I just left it as is...not happy about it, but it is what it is.

I removed the panel from the cabinet, and changed out the test and service buttons. To my surprise, the fuse holder was not in there properly. It was missing the nut on the back of the holder to keep it in place. I may just order a replacement one while also seeking out a DPST toggle switch for power. 


...I think I should paint this thing as well, but since it's on the inside, I really didn't care. Again, something I may revisit in the future, but for now, if it works, it's done. I loosely reinstalled it back into the cab and it tested out fine.

I'm at the point with the Neo Geo that most of the internals are done, again, other than the actual main board itself. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the exterior yet, maybe reapply vinyl or just paint the sides. I know we're planning on getting a Cricut, so I'm planning on using that to get the side art of the cabinet made.

Anyway, I'm moving along with the next project: The Atomiswave. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment