Friday, December 11, 2020

TG16 reassembly...

 I felt that I needed to do some modwork to do so I can forget about the work day...holidays bring out the worst in people, I swear. Anyway, I decided to tackle putting the TG16 back together.


First off, the casework. I filled the old holes with PlasticWeld and sanded it down after it cured for a day. Now, as you can see, I left it as you see it here. I was contemplating going for perfection, but since this is my own personal console, I thought leaving it as is. It's just a reminder for me of what was done to the case and how much my modding technique has changed since then.



After letting the paint dry and off-gas for a day or three, I went ahead and epoxied the multiout print that I made. This was my first time using two-part epoxy, so I didn't squish it down just right. So, the final position was a bit crooked for my liking. It's on me since I wasn't used to using epoxy for perma-mounting stuff. When I dry fitted the print, it did fit even. Again, it's my own console, so I'm fine(ish) with it.


Just a slight fitment issue with the bottom part of the case. I'll have to file it down a little to get it to fit just right.


I had some LED strip lights that I decided to use for this instead of what I had in there before. It has RGB and bright white light. I plan on setting it up so when the region switch is in "TG16" mode, it'll glow white and in "PCE" mode, it'll be red.


This is what was in there before. I chopped up an old CD case and hot glued white LEDs and resistors just as a power light...which I just realized, I never showed how the TG16 looked before all of this.






...I modded this TG16 ages ago. Not really sure exactly when I did all these mods. I built the region mod from scratch, used an old method of creating S-Video, made a working, but very horrible, audio amp, and the RCAs and S-Video jacks sticking out from the side. Of all the consoles I've owned, this one got the most work done to it. Yeah, it's janky, but it worked. I'm not ashamed of this mod work. I've learned so much from this and hope to only improve in the future.

Anyway, I got wires routed out and verified the LEDs were working. I made this a stopping point for the night. I'm hoping to get the connector wired up and it finally closed up before the weekend. There's still RGB that I'm possibly thinking of installing as well, but that's for another time. I will get the wires soldered in to the connector to RGBS and either grab the RGB board I have in my PC Engine right now, or I may come back in to install RGBS later.

No comments:

Post a Comment