Sunday, December 27, 2020

Recapped Game Gear done!...ish...

 Quick update. I had another Game Gear to recap. When I last left it, I just replaced the brightness adjustment wheel from a previous Game Gear that was my first venture into recapping to this one (the wheel fell apart). I never recapped this because...you know, I don't know why. 

...anyway...

It was just as simple as the previous Game Gear recap. I spent more time cleaning up the old gunk off of the solder pads, then soldered the caps on. After getting it all installed, I tested it.

It worked, but no sound. 

I was too lazy to recap the sound board, so I again swapped out the sound board (after testing it with this newly recapped board, of course) and closed everything up. 

Done with another repair. I may go back in to recap the power board, maybe recap the sound board as well. 

The cap kit was ordered again from Console5.com. I also ordered some cables and connectors that I've ben meaning to make for some time now. I made a Genesis Model 1 adapter to Genesis Model 2 connector. Since the Game Gear uses the same adapter as the Genesis Model 2, I used that newly made cable to for testing. Yeah, it all worked. 

I also ordered a cable that allows me to use a Genesis Model 1 adapter with my Turbo Duo. I have to dig out my Turbo duo (which is also due for some maintenance like my TG16) to test it out.

No pics, same humdrum recapping stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment