Sunday, December 13, 2020

Sega Saturn V0 repair/mod DONE!

 So, my dumb self forgot to take pics when I installed the FRAM and region free BIOS..both after installing them and after I installed the Fenrir...ugh...

Anyway...


Here's where the BIOS was installed. The V0 uses a DIP40 for it's BIOS, so removal was easy with my desoldering station. It did take some reflowing of some solder on some of the ground points, but with that and some desoldering braid from the top of the BIOS, I was able to get it out. After that, it was just as simple as soldering in a DIP Socket and pressing in the new BIOS.


I'm keeping the original Japanese BIOS here in the tube the region free BIOS was sent in.


After getting the new BIOS in, I swapped out the original RAM. The old RAM was notorious for losing game saves if the CR2032 battery dies. I used my hot air rework station to heat up the old RAM out and prod it out of position without ruining the traces below. These are also notorious of having epoxy under the RAM, which could cause more headaches, but I lucked out here. The old RAM was removed and a new FRAM was soldered in place. I had to wire up 5V and GND to a nearby, empty capacitor spot. 

After getting it loosely put back together, I ran a quick test. I ran a Japanese disc and a US disc and both read and played just fine. The new FRAM that was installed was also tested. One of the games I tested created a game save. I turned it of, and unplugged it for a few minutes. After restarting, I went in and checked to see if the game save was still there. Happy to say that it was!


Again, I kept it with the original BIOS...don't know why, but I did.

So, I was able to finish these mods a few nights ago. Today (12.12.20) I finally received the Fenrir ODE I ordered around Black Friday.


It's a really nice kit coming from France. It also came with a 3D printed clip/spacer and a ribbon cable. Installation is really simple: open up the console, disconnect the CD drive ribbon cable and all the connectors to the CD assembly, remove the CD drive, install the ribbon cable to the Fenrir to the mainboard, plug in the power cable to the Fenrir, close it up, then test. Super simple...at least for this 20 pin drives.

But that's the quick of it. It leaves a big space where the disc drive was, like the xStation and GC Loader was. So you know I had to print something out.


I got this print from Thingiverse. It took a little under 6 hours to print. The Fenrir slides in at an angle and the SD card slot lines up with the little indentation so the card can be clicked in and out with no problems. There's just enough space to add some double sided foam tape to secure the Fenrir in place.


Now, it took some major modification to get it to this point. With the print as is, there was some resistance with closing the case. There was a spot to the left of the drive (as pictured here, that rectangular indentation) that was inset enough that the Fenrir board bumped it. Fearing that I may accidentally break the Fenrir closing the case up, I planned on trimming the leg of the mount there so there would be some wiggle room. Buuuuut, instead of trimming a piece off, I ended up snapping the leg completely off. That worked even better. There is still some resistance when closing the case, but it's not as bad as it was before.

I can finally call this console done. The mainboard has been recapped, the power supply fixed, region free BIOS, FRAM, and Fenrir installed. All that needs to be done is replace the CR2032 battery and we'll be done done!

No comments:

Post a Comment