Monday, May 25, 2015

Next (non-commissioned) project...O...M...G!

A while ago, I bought this AES Neo Geo joystick from NG.com.


Yes, I did note it's condition, but according to the sale thread, it worked fine and had arcade controller parts (Sanwa buttons, at least). I had hopes and aspirations to fix that huge, ugly crack in it.


Which, with the flash on my cellphone camera, looks like there's another hairline crack under the "A" button. Whatever. I'll just fix the crack and prime and paint the bad boy, call it good. I was also hoping to swap out the pan head screws holding the joystick for some countersunk ones.

I wanted to assess the damage throughout the case. So I opened it up to see how the installation was done.

I was not prepared for what I saw.

o_O!?! Where do I even start on this one?

Electrical tape on either soldered joints or just twisted together connections. Not to mention the ugly nest of wires there.

This is what actually did it for me. Alligator clips to the buttons. ALLIGATOR CLIPS FOR WHAT SHOULD BE A PERMANENT CONNECTION! I laughed so hard at how sorry this looked.

Other than the alligator clips, these untrimmed, poorly soldered connections are possibly why I was having difficulty pulling off special moves in King of Fighters '94.

This was actually a HUGE surprise opening it up. I was half-expecting a semi-decent mod job in there. Boy, was I wrong. 

Knowing what it looks like now, I may have to tackle this sooner than later. Otherwise, I'll feel bad for using it for so long with this condition. 

Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment