Saturday, May 16, 2015

PCE Duo-R mod COMPLETE!

YAY! Time to celebrate!

Wired up to the Multi-out. S-Video, Composite, and Audio all work through the connector. Since I don't have an RGB cable for it, the test has not been done. I quadruple checked all the connections, so they're at the right pins and solid.

Component and Audio RCAs. I piggy backed the Audio from the Multi-out. Audio works at the same level as the Multi-out. Fine tuned the Component's color so I got it as close as possible to a beautiful image. 

More finalized shots of the internals before closing up. 

After closing, all worked fine; the LEDs were functioning properly, all the connections that I could test worked perfectly, region mod switch worked, and the LED for disc access worked fine...with one tiny problem: the disc wouldn't spin.

...

The disc would rub against the case for some reason, and I couldn't put my finger on it. After opening up and checking the situation around the disc drive, I noticed that when the case was closed down, there was some resistance near that corner. I'd also note that the disc assembly would lift up on the front, making the disc tray not level. 

Peeking in through the case, I noticed that the Multi-out was pushing against the back of the drive assembly, making the front rise. 

I thought about it, and only saw one way to make it work; removing some of the metal on the assembly.

Had to prep the assembly first so...

Wrapped up in blue tape and paper. Didn't want to get metal shavings into the drive gears or the laser.

The part in question. That long part needed to come out.

A few minutes with the rotary tool...

Put up some electrical tape to protect the edges. I did de-burr the edges, so it wasn't too sharp nor were there any burrs. 

I'm running some final testing again. Running Component with the Turbo Everdrive again to make sure there are no hiccups. Then all there is is to close it up and deliver the package. 

This, by far, was a long winded project. Really, if I wasn't full time with my job and family life, I would've had this done in several days. My tendinitis didn't help either. Albeit long, and ever so slightly frustrating, I did have fun doing it. I learned a lot doing this project and hopefully I can carry it on to the next one that I do. 

So, 4th commission. Status: COMPLETE!

No comments:

Post a Comment