I would've done it sooner, but I had a little more research to do before I decided to dive into it...I also needed more wire...because I was out...
I had to figure out what what connection goes to what on the molex connector. I did some searching on what color wire does what and ended up with this.
Green/Yellow - Hdir/Hclk (X axis)
Blue/Purple - Ydir/Yclk (Y axis)
Blue/Purple - Ydir/Yclk (Y axis)
I also had to pull a +5V connection and a ground connection for the trackball. Searching further, I learned that the COM3 connections on the 60 in 1 was specifically trackball connections, also got the pinout for it.
1 Ground
2 Xclk
3 Xdir
4 Yclk
5 Ydir
6 +5v
That's with the "key" side of the connector on the left.
Again, I ended up just clipping the molex connector off and repinning it to the connectors that I had.
I had some of these connectors that I used for some of my older projects. I used these connectors and trimmed down the keys to work with the 60 in 1 connector. Crimped on the connectors and put them in the proper spots for what I needed.
This is it, all set up to the trackball connector. I initially wanted to use P2 controls, but then I'd have to get +5V to the trackball somehow. Going to the COM3 connector was the easier way of doing things.
Repinned connectors; connector on the right going to the trackball itself, connector on the left goes to the COM3 connector.
And the pic of the trackball...from under the control panel.
I reconnected everything back to the JAMMA connector and set the 60 in 1 to test mode. Everything was fine for the trackball but the Y axis was inverted. Turns out that I had the colors backwards. So I swapped the Y axis wires. Testing it again and the Y axis is working in the correct direction.
I turned on the rest of the games on the 60 in 1 and played Centipede for a while. Happy to say that all is good!
So now that the Galaga cab is fully functional, control wise, all that needs to be done is cosmetic stuff. I'm really wanting to get rid of the light bulb in there and get the marquee back to its former glory, as well as getting the monitor a little more centered in there. I'm still coming up with ideas on how to get that to work.
In the meantime, I have a few other projects that I want to work on. They're all recap projects. One of the main ones I'm hoping will work after an extensive recap is a Sega Saturn that powers on but the disc doesn't spin nor is there video. The others are a Game Gear and my old Turbografx-16.





No comments:
Post a Comment