Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Trying my hand at 3D design...

I'm trying to print some parts for my Atari 5200 and get stuff ready for the A/V/S mod. I've been using Tinkercad online to make these pieces. I will eventually make use of Fusion 360 in the near future.

First, the expansion port cover.


That long piece is the test print. I was testing the measurements I took for the expansion port. It fit, shape wise, for the hole, but it didn't quite cover the port properly. Those smaller pieces were for the adapter...those were the rejects.

To make that expansion port fit, I needed to add a little bevel to the inner part.


Original on the left, remade one with the bevel on the right. No exact measurements on the angle of the bevel, but I took a chance.


This is the result. Flush to the port, perfect friction fit!...but, because I'm using this cover for the A/V/S mod, I need it to be a little more secure. I'm kinda happy with this for now, but I will be adding tabs for it to lock into place.

I also figured I'd tackle making the cover for the adapter hole.


This is probably the best fit I got so far from the 4 test prints I've done. It took a bit to get the hole for the adapter jack just right, but I think I may have to increase the hole size just a smidge. I may also increase the height on it and add a bevel to get it just right. I may also make a cover just to plug up that hole where the channel switch was.

That's enough tinkering around for now. I didn't get much rest last night, so I'm going to bed earlier tonight. Plans include increasing the size of the adapter plate, adding tabs and holes for the RCA and S-video jacks I have to the expansion port cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment