Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sega Master System re-revisited...

I felt compelled to redo the holes that were, for the longest time, bugging the crap out of me. It shouldn't have been, but it felt like an all-day project.

Here's the before shot. See how all the RCA's are bunched up? The video RCA sitting higher than the other two? That damn S-video jack sticking out like that?!? Drove me nuts!

Kinda glad I decided to redo this because I didn't know I didn't secure those screws on for the S-Video jack. What was I thinking?

Got smart this time. I clamped down one side of the S-Video jack and used my uni-bit to open up the hole for the screws.

Drilling from the back of the connector left a little protrusion on the front of the jack (right side of the jack). I just clamped it down again with the front side facing up and drilled with the uni-bit to get rid of that (left side of the jack).

And now the fun part. Using JB Weld's PlasticWeld putty epoxy to cover up the RCA holes and also the RF and Channel Select holes (RF? Psh).

After a few minutes kneading the putty to the right color and mashing it in the holes. Used my hobby knife that, now, I think I have to replace because of this, to cut the excess away...yeah, it was my first time using the stuff and yes, I know I could've done better.

After letting it sit for 2½ hours, hardened up pretty good.

The inside of the case...again, I know I could've done better.

After letting it sit for another 4 or so hours, after having dinner with my brother, I came back to tackle the sanding part. It was getting tedious with just sand paper, so I whipped out my Dremel and used a little sanding drum to take down the layers to get it to a point that I can use sand paper. Came in handy, especially for the inside of the case.

Measure twice, drill once...but check where you drill. I was contemplating just plugging up the hole again, but I decided to just modify it from the inside. Embarrassing, yes. But the thing to take away from this is the putty held up through the drilling, so Yay! on a great product. I may have made the audio RCAs close again, but not to a point where it'll bug me.

I honestly have no explanation for this. Why I left it like this, I don't know. I since removed all the black and blue tape from the console, heat shrink tubed the S-video circuit, and rebundled the wires and put them in the same area I put them in the last SMS I tackled. 

I've already got the board back in the bottom case, so that's good to go. I washed the case after getting it drilled and hit it with a coat of black paint. I'm gonna let that dry and hit it again before I go to work tomorrow. 

Oh, an update on the Mrs. car stereo. I have fat fingers, so when I was removing the stock head unit from the car, I dropped several screws. I don't feel like recovering them, but if I have to, I will. Also, the antenna is one of those unique ones, so I need to get an adapter to make it fit the new stereo as well. Nothing but headaches from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment