I have to say: This for me, personally, was the best and maybe the cleanest mod I've done in a long time.
I'll let the pictures show it.
Chroma, Luma, Composite, +5V and ground. Some hot glue to keep the wires tacked down (all I have, ATM). Not show is the connection to audio, which was tapped from the 8 pin DIN connector. I since did away with the hot glue where all the wires meet up at the top of the board. You'll see in the fourth pic what I ended up doing instead.
Luma amp and Chroma connections. It's about the same as any Model 1 Genesis S-Video mod that has the CXA1145 video processor in it. I haven't built the one for the Composite at this point yet.
This is my pride and joy. The RCA's aren't screwed in yet, but having the spacing between them and all level was one feat. The second was getting that S-video panel mount jack mounted behind the case instead of in front. I didn't want that silly silver oval showing outside.
While boring out the S-video screw holders a little wider (gives better play to make the jack fit square), the part slipped and ripped my nail. Yes, it still hurts at this point at night while typing this.
Seeing that the new owner may not be diving in this thing for a while, I made it without using disconnects. I just made the wires to a manageable length and went from there. Just to get wiring through for the RCA jacks and not worry about getting wires pinched, I drilled 2 small holes in the ribbing of the screw mount of the case. To hold the wires coming from the bottom of the board together, I drilled a hole in the edge of the board (just a ground plane). The components for the Luma, Chroma, and Composite amp are tucked nicely below the bottom shielding right at the edge of the case. There was a lot of room there.
The jacks, all soldered in and ready to go. I made sure that none of the exposed parts on the jacks were touching bare metal. I modified the top and bottom RF shields for that. I rolled some of the edges in so there were no sharp edges. A quick dab of hot glue on the nuts of the jacks just secures them so they don't loosen over time. I did turn those nuts on all of the jack really, really tight.
So this project turned commission used whatever parts I could get in a rush. I used the RCA jacks from the VA7 Genesis that I was planning on overclocking, and some wire ties. It does look a bit jankey, but I'm happy with how it turned out, nonetheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment