Thursday, August 28, 2014

Twin Famicom revisited...

So my son has been loving watching me play some old NES games on my Twin Fami. He's like his dad; getting into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was playing the original TMNT on the Twin. I've noticed that the sound was really low. Kinda annoying.

I remember a while back reading about the sound difference in the Twin by removing one filtering capacitor in there. This is that link.

Well, I decided to try it tonight.

Capacitor C205 was removed. Easily done with my small wire cutter.

The capacitor. The value of the cap was 0.022µF ceramic or tantalum, for my reference.

The result? Didn't sound too loud playing Akumajou Densetsu (Japanese version of Castlevania III), but other games sounded much louder. The disk games sounded louder as well.

Did it need to be done? No. I was just curious on how much of a difference it would make. Pretty decent diff, if you ask me. I've already asked a forum member about removing the cap. He's mentioned that his console didn't suffer any long term ill effects, so that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment