Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Another "AHA" moment...

I got around to looking into my friend's fightstick. It wasn't connecting to a PS3 and couple of buttons were not functioning on the 360. I was trying to wrap my head around what sort of mod was done in it. Of course, I was doing this while re-watching the 7th season of Doctor Who before the 8th season starts up.

It was pretty much a padhack, where whoever did the mod...if that's what you wanna call it...took what seems to be a fightpad PCB (Street Fighter IV pad for 360, looks like) and splice it to a PS3 stick.

There was one PCB in there that I was not familiar with. After much searching, I now know that it's an Imp v1 made by Toodles. It came from GodlikeControls.com. I searched and searched and found a PDF file that showed how to connect both controller PCBs to it.

After much picking and prodding at the "mod" and reading about the Imp's connections, I figured out why it didn't work; seems like power and ground wasn't going to the PS3's PCB, only the 360's pad. Also, there were some loose connections in there that caused a mishap.

So needless to say, it's kind of an easy fix. I just won't be able to do it until tomorrow...and I need parts...:(

I was also gonna clean it up in there; the 2 loose PCBs were in there unsecured. That means in the heat of a fight, there's a good chance that something could short out in it.

Pics of the before and after coming up in the next several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment