Thursday, February 3, 2022

Return of the Atari 2600 Jr...

I've been sidelining the Jr for a while. If you recall where I left it, it was essentially finished, but not without issue. Mainly, the color black was appearing gray.


...upsetting...

Fast forward to February 2nd. My Reddit post got answered! User u/bgianninoto figured out that the original UAV installation instructions had different jumper positions for the Jr. 


Looking at the UAV with the IC markings up and the IC notch to the right, I desoldered the original jumpers I had (following the guide for the 2600 jumper positions) to these jumper positions. It was a trial to get the old jumpers out since I already had the pin headers installed, but I made it happen.

So, did it work? 


So much better! I know, it's not Joust like the original pic, but the Defender background looks nice in S-Video! Composite looked just as awesome too (thanks to some tweaking with the RetroTINK 5x!)


Because of the pin headers, I bent some component leads and installed them underneath between the pin headers. I then soldered the connection from the top. 

So happy that the color issue was solved! Big thanks to user u/bgianninoto for figuring out the issue. Next thing that I need to work out is the controller that I made from spare parts. I need to print a new restrictor gate for it because the one I put in there isn't working that well for old Atari games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment