I ordered 2 UAV's for my Atari 2600 Jr. and my Coleco Gemini. Similar to the Atari 5200 I finished a while back, this board will supply S-video and composite video to these consoles. I loved how well it worked on the 5200, I thought it was time to show my 2600's some love.
Now, I already modified my original Sears branded 2600 with a different board. That works perfectly. But, I really want all my older consoles to have a video out better than the original RF signal.
I got my Jr. out from storage and started to take it apart. Like the 5200, I removed the 4050 IC to replace it with the UAV.
The UAV (the white board on there) sits where the 4050 once was.
A little closer shot of it. I soldered in the jumpers as per the UAV instructions.
Instead of having connectors sticking out the side similar to how I had my TG16 before, I opted to put a Nintendo Multiout connector again...like how I "updated" the TG16. I used super glue to get it to stay in position for testing, then later epoxied it into place. I kinda wish I didn't do that, because the connector is really tight, so it takes some work to get it in the port, let alone getting it out from there.
It took some time to get the casing filed down for the 3d printed part to fit. I did manage to get it to look a lot more even after taking this pic.
All connected. Ready for testing.
Here's the better fitment of the connector. At this point, it's all epoxied into place.
Used Joust to test the installation. The background of the title screen should be black. Instead, I have this gray. It makes it hard to see the enemies when in game. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the installation or the actual Jr was messed up and I don't recall issues when I tested it ages ago.
I'm trying to ask around to see if anyone might know what's going on. So far, I got nothing. I may try to replace the TIA in it. But for now, success? I'm not gonna be defeated by this.







No comments:
Post a Comment