Thursday, February 3, 2022

Atari 2600/7800 Joystick revisted...

Back when I made a thing, the 4-way restrictor that I printed was...good enough. However, recently playing Joust and Defender on the revived Atari 2600 Jr, I found that it was really hard to move around. 


Here's the old 4-way restrictor out. I had to break off a a part of it to be able to remove it from the joystick. I though I could use the joystick without a restictor, but...


The switches here are loose. There's nothing to keep the switches in place while using the joystick. So, off to Thingiverse to find a new restrictor to replace the 4-way. 


I found an 8-way restrictor that was similar to the 4-way one. This print took a little over an hour to complete.


Here it is installed in the controller. It fit pretty good, but after printing it, I noticed that the actuator isn't touching the main directions of the controller. 



I mean, the gap isn't a huge deal to me. It does have a decent 8 way feel, but I still have to test it. I already have a remixed version that has a smaller hole ready to print, just in case I don't like the feel of this restrictor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment