Well, instead of 24 hours, I gave it about 48 hours in the UV bin. So, how are the results?
Let's start with how it was before.
Not sure if the lighting is doing how severe the yellowing is, but here is the CD lid that was really discolored. I'm contrasting it with the bottom of the case since the bottom was as close to the original color of the case.
Another color comparison pic. Under the power and reset buttons, along with the inside of the disc drive are the original color of the case. You can see how discolored the case was.
The buttons were also yellowed to the point that it looked brown. Again, the lighting didn't do it any justice, but you can kinda see the color contrast here.
This is one of the clips that holds the lid in place. Again, for color comparison, you can tell how bad the yellowing was.
I got the whole case taken apart for a soapy scrub down. I forgot that this was exposed to the humidity of my room back in Hawaii, so the plastics were a bit brittle. Some of the bosses that holds the clips in place broke, along with a clip that holds the power supply in place. Regardless, I got them cleaned up, slathered it with the developer cream, wrapped them in plastic, and placed them in the UV bin.
I checked after 24 hours. There wasn't much of a change, so I left it in there for another 24 hours. After a total of 48 hours, I took them out and cleaned them up again.
It seems to look a little better. There's almost no discernable difference between the inside of the cover to the outer casing...ALMOST. Though not perfect, there's a tinge of discoloration there. But not enough to annoy me. There is a little splotch there as well. I'm not sure if that's from blooming or an original stain that I never noticed, but again, it's fine.
Another clip and cover comparison. Instead of using my shop light, I used a table lamp that I use from time to time. Again, better color match, but not 100 percent.
One more comparison shot.
While cleaning, I accidentally hit the case on the side of the sink. Again, since the plastics were brittle, I made a huge crack in the case. This was one of them.
Here's another crack, on the inner side of the top case. Ugh...
After cleaning, I was going to let the case sit in the UV bin without cream and see if there would be any changes, but after cracking the case, I didn't want to risk causing any more damage to the plastics. So, I'll take it as it is now. It's much cleaner than it was before.
Last comparison shot for the blog. The controller is still the original color. I don't have a shot of the controller ports, but that was a huge distinction of the difference of color for the case itself.
I'll try to spray some UV protectant on the case later. Hopefully that'll slow down the yellowing. Otherwise, this case is on it's last legs, and I'm not gonna worry about it. I could always get a parts unit from the same model and call it good.










No comments:
Post a Comment