Saturday, September 21, 2019

I got a thing...

That I've been wanting for SOOO long...Since I was in high school, working at an arcade.




It's not the "Big Red" Neo Geo 4 cab, but a 4 game cab nonetheless. It's really worked, as it probably came from a laundromat or something, but still running...so to speak.

The only major thing is that the monitor's width is stretched...really wide. Worse part is, the coil that allows adjustment wasn't working properly...from what I could do, anyway.

I hit up some people/friends through forums and social media and consensus was to do a recap on the monitor chassis board.

So, after vacation, I ordered a cap kit and went for it. Got out the trusty soldering and desoldering station (2 different devices, don't judge).


The recap job took about an hour since I was being really meticulous and there was one or two caps that were hard to install. After the recap, I installed the chassis back into the cab. Did it help at all? 

...no, it didn't...

So, I just ordered 3 more, high voltage capacitors that are part of the width circuit. I hope this will fix the problem, otherwise, I have to get another component (horizontal width coil) to fix the problem. I hope that does it, otherwise, I'll have to replace either the chassis or the whole monitor, which I don't want to do. 

There are other things to fix up in there, like rewiring the controllers, rewire the test button, break and replace the coin door locks, vacuuming the inside of the cab from ages of dirt and grime, and changing the fan in the power supply...possibly adding more fans for the heck of it.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, there is another arcade cabinet next to the Neo Geo cab. That's another project for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment