Thursday, September 26, 2019

I fixed the thing!

And man, I am happy!

First off, here's what I did...you know, since the recapping of the board.


These 3 things...are the bane of my existence. These are capacitors are responsible for the horizontal phase (is that what it's called? I'm not sure.) of the monitor. The width, if you will. These things were old and possibly worked. So, $22, 5 days shipping time, and 30 mins for desoldering and replacing these old caps with these:


(it's the brown, square-ish things), we are ready to reinstall the chassis to the cab.

I also have to note that I also took my Allen key and turned the horizontal coil (that white, PVC looking thing with the copper coil around it) all the way down.



I put the chassis back in the cab, connected everything, and turned the cab on. And I was greeted with...loud hissing and popping from the CRT and some screen snapping weirdness.

...

At this point, I thought I screwed everything up by replacing those three components with the wrong thing. So, I turned the cab off and went to the back to discharge the CRT from the anode...and the anode just popped out.

...

I didn't put the anode in properly. Silly me. Luckily, that was an easy fix. So here I go again, round 2, with turning the cab on and seeing if the fruits of my labor paid off.

Well...



YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Before, the game select screen on my 161-in-1, you couldn't see either all of Terry Bogard's left arm or you wouldn't be able to see the game select arrow at the left of the screen. Now, it looks way better.







...I love the King of Fighters series. It's not evident, but you wouldn't be able to see either a chunk of the left side of the screen (you would only see half of Terry) or the right side of the screen (half of Ryo).

Now, mind you, I'm not sure if me setting the horizontal coil all the way down was part of it and I'm just a dummy for not testing that out first, but I figure this old thing could use some fresh components after sitting in the warehouse for so long.

So, I'm marking this as a successful result!

Next part of this thing: fixing the fan on the power supply...and more cleaning up inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment