Sunday, April 19, 2015

RGB and Component mod DONE!

I was home alone tonight. So after having dinner with my brother, I (kinda) binge watched some movies that I've been wanting to rewatch: The Matrix, The Matrix: Reloaded, and Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift.

While having those movies play in the background, me glimpsing to the TV every now and then, I was working on the Duo-R. I wanted to get, at least, the more major components installed and ready for testing.

The other night, I attempted to tap RGBS from the HuC6260 using my standard 26 gauge wires. I scratched that and went with 30 gauge wires because it seemed like I couldn't get any of the 26's to stay on properly without bridging. While I had time, I permanently mounted the RGB amp so it was ready to go with minimal fidgeting.

Tonight, I installed the component board. Took some time to figure out where I was gonna install this behemoth of a board, but I managed to do that. I had to install it in an angle because it was the only way I could place it without having it hit too many components.

To save several 30 gauge wires connecting to the HuC6260, I decided to daisy chain RGB from the RGB amp. I also daisy chained 5V and Ground to both RGB and component boards to the Duo-R's AV connector.

I had a little test rig that I made for a SNES component mod (won't work on my LCD), so I utilized that to test, at least, the component board. I soldered the wires to the component board, then went to my Wega to test it.

First test didn't work, simply because I forgot to wire up sync to it. After correcting that faux pas, went to test it again. I still got the same result as if sync wasn't connected.

...

I was already a bit tired at this point, but I wanted to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I went back to my work table and checked my connections to the HuC6260. It all looks fine. I took my magnifiers to get a closer look.

...upon closer inspection, there was a small solder bridge between the sync pin and an adjoining pin. After cleaning that up, went to test it again.

Yay! It worked!

There was a bit of a green tint to it, but I'll wait until everything is installed before trying to adjust that. 

The current look of it. I promise it won't be as messy as this pic shows. Most of the wires sticking out currently here are future connections that will be trimmed to fit...I promise! You can see here how I had to angle the component board (top middle, purple board) to make it fit.

So, knowing that the component board works, I'm thinking that the RGB board will work fine as well. I'm hoping that daisy chaining the connections won't affect it. 

Much closer to completing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment