Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dreamcast woes...

I should've tested it earlier. I just played it off as miswiring. Nope!

I've decided to play a little Dreamcast tonight (the one I VGA modded a while back). I noticed that the left side was a little off last time I tried playing it. I didn't think anything of it. Now, tonight, I decided to play with headphones on so not to disturb my wife while she was knitting/watching the winter Olympics. I had a little LCD VGA monitor and my headphones. I was playing for a few minutes until I noticed something wrong: Sound was coming out of one side.

Now, I may or may not have touched up on this when I finished the VGA mod the last time, but as it goes, the sound coming from the 3.5 phono jack that I installed didn't seem to be reproducing the left channel all to well...on my main TV (a 37" Vizio). It was faint, but I played it off since putting the original VGA cable produced the same effect: A really low, but usable sound from the left channel.

Fast forward to tonight, when I wanted to play Sonic Adventure (no real reason, just wanted to play it). With the headphones on, the left audio channel was not there. I was annoyed with that. I tried using my gaming headset that has RCA jacks instead of your usual 3.5 phono jack, with the stock A/V cable. Still, no sound through the left channel.

...

Right now, it's too late for me to dive in and check it. I'm trying REALLY hard not to let my OCD take over and open it up right now. I've posted up to NG.com to see if anyone would know what I could do. But in the meantime, I'm gonna have to wait until after work tomorrow until I can open it up and see what's going on...I hope it's an easy fix.

Oh, and I'll also add that the guy sent the PC Engine to a repair guy nearby him. Turns out that the PC Engine had a bad trace on it somewhere, so it's on its way back to me, along with a bunch of other stuff. The only extra I really wanted was a controller. But he's cool like that, and that's much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment