Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dreamcast revisited...

I had a quite day off today (read: No kids!), so I decided to take on the Dreamcast problem from my last post.

After opening it, I first noticed that one of the wires got pinched and was probably touching bare metal. After patching up that area, cutting the bad part, soldered and heat shrunk the connection, I decided to check the underside of the board at all my connections there. Other than the Horizontal Sync connection coming loose, everything was solid under there. Checked some of the components for bad ones and came up with nothing.

Since I had it opened, I rerouted wires and changed up the screws I had in the VGA connector for ones that didn't stick out as much for a tighter fit. I'm sure after closing up there are still some pinched wires in there, but for the most part, everything cleared.

I hooked it up to a monitor I had along with my headphones. Powered up and reset the calendar. I let it start without a disc. The startup sound came up....IN STEREO!

So it was that pinched wire that caused all the problems. Because I was tapping it from the AV connector itself, by having that wire short out, it also shorted out the left channel from the AV connector.

So yeah, problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment