Monday, March 23, 2026

IGR with the Lava RGB FINALLY solved...

You know what it was? It was the firmware.

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at The Lava RGB site to see if there's any updates. Luckily, there was one. And there were 2 different versions: One for Famicom, the other for NES.

There was also better, visual instructions on the update process!


Before, it was just text (translated, of course), but now, there are screen shots of the whole process. 

I followed the update instructions, using the NES specific firmware. Just using the visuals made the process slightly easier. It took about a minute or two to complete the updating process. When it was done, I did a quick set up of the NES to test the update.

Initial tests showed that it was working just fine. With this newest update, there were more color palettes (hold "select" button for a few seconds, then D-pad "up") available that looked really good. There also was no weird scrolling issues when changing palettes...not the whole screen would scroll, just the little box that showed on the screen what palette was currently selected.

I started a game and played a bit into a level. I paused the game then tried the in game reset (IGR) (hold "select" button for a few seconds, then "A" button). 

...it...worked...

IT FINALLY WORKED!

I'm finally content with the Lava RGB installed in my NES. I'm probably going to install another one in my BLW modified console soon. 

I'll probably write up another blog, going through the full process of installing the software for flashing the update as well as the update process itself when I get to updating the OG Famicom. 

STAY TUNED! 

No comments:

Post a Comment