Friday, March 4, 2022

SNES Mini RGB + S-Video bypass installation...

My friend had some SNES Minis that he got that he wanted cleaned and checked. I suggested while I had it opened up for cleaning that I should get Voultar's SNES 1CHIP/Mini RGB Bypass Kit installed. He ordered some boards for me to install and as soon as they got in, I got to work.

I got the Minis taken apart, scrubbed the cases down, and brushed the mainboard and shielding clean. While waiting for the cases to dry, I went ahead and started the bypass mod.


That red PCB is the bypass kit that I linked to. Fairly simple to install. I had to snip some long component leads that would've gotten in the way. All that was left was soldering the PCB in place.


I was doing 2 Minis at the same time. These pics are from the second install. In this pic, although it's hard to make out, I changed out C11 for the capacitor that was ordered with the kit. To the left of R1/C1 are VIAs that was used to get the RGBS signals from.


Here's where the Luma and Chroma signals from. This is the top of the mainboard, so slightly longer wires were needed to route to the bottom of the board. Luma (red wire) was a little more hard to install. With the heatsink removed, soldering the wire was easier. 


So, on the first install, I got the wires to go through the VIAs and RGB working perfectly. For this console, after soldering the wires the first time, I got off colors, on all connections (composite, S-video, RGB). I removed the wires from the RGBS and tested again with just composite, thinking that something might be wrong with the PCB itself. With composite, the colors were back to normal. Trying S-Video was also displaying proper colors. 

...

As shown in the picture above, I used different wire and soldered the wires to the top of the VIAs. I tested it once again. This time, all connections showed the proper colors!


Final installation. Not as the clean of an install as the first one, but still cleaner than what I used to do.

There's one more Mini that I have to do (my own), but that's being sidelined for now. My friend also asked me to clean up and test a Sega Saturn. I just finished the teardown before posting this blog, so I'm gonna dive into that next...after a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment