Going through another lazy day of this pandemic, self-quarantining again...anyway, I decided to start work on the Galaga cab. Starting with the wiring harness.
...that damn JAMMA harness...
Let's start here. The speaker connections. See that bare wire there? That was connected to the harness. I just barely touched it and it came apart. That tells me that the wires were stripped, twisted together, and then wrapped in electrical tape. Granted, I've done that in the past, but man, this was just shoddy as heck! Makes me think that this was hacked up for a quick sale.
...well, I guess there is no backing down now.
I continued to pull the rest of the harness wires out and took the mess to my office.
This...damn...mess...All the wires were just loose, not bundled or anything. No zip ties, not even twisty ties, just loose. It was all spaghetti!
This right here. This electrical tape bundle. I know what lies under it, and it really upset me. Also, see that Molex connector there? It was spliced into the JAMMA harness from the original Galaga harness.
This was under the tape. No, none of the wires were soldered. Just the same twist and tape method. Ugh...
I'm still trying to figure what to do from here, control panel wise. I still may end up getting a new control panel, but the option of making my own is there as well. I do have the tools and parts to make it, but it's the time that I don't have. In the meantime, I ordered some connectors that I could use to clean up the control panel connections. I also wired tied the harness to clean it up a bit. I have to still add some wires for another button and some other switches.
Hopefully it won't be too hard to get it to look and work a lot better. I need to look at getting the original power switch to work again with this current setup.




No comments:
Post a Comment