It (was) Saturday, and I had a few things that I wanted to cross off of my mods and repairs done. One of the things was something that I finally was able to get in for a pre-sale.
Got my hands on a GC Loader PNP!
This is it installed. Pretty easy install.

This is right after I took the disc drive out of the mainboard and removed it from it's metal shielding...yeah, I placed the pics backward.
The install involved removing the disc drive. I'm just putting this in a container that has parts removed from consoles.
I finally got to play with the Carby that I bought at the last PRGE. I just ended up testing one game on it. Needless to say, it worked perfectly; the GC Loader and the Carby.
I was gonna attempt the 3DO fix as well, but I still need epoxy to get the gear I printed secure on there.
Instead, I went to my wife's old PlayStation. I installed a modchip about 18 years ago. Back then, I had a single temp, worn out tip Radio Shack soldering iron, and a really "good enough" installation of the modchip, meaning the wires were not trimmed and my solder joints were mostly cold joints. It stopped reading burned discs, and if it did read it, it'll not pass the stealth check on the disc.
I opened it up and noticed that 2 of the points I soldered on broke...again, bad soldering job on my behalf. So I ended up just removing the modchip altogether. I didn't have the original installation pics, so I had to search for something that was close to what I had.
I didn't bother taking pics of my old install. Just imagine in the above pic all the wires were long and wrapped around the edge to the bottom where I had the modchip just stuck there...with no 2 sided tape. This is the cleanup; shorter wires, better soldering techniques, secured the modchip to the board with 2 sided foam tape (that's all I have, ATM). I used a US game and a Japanese game to test with. Both games loaded up just fine, so I'm pretty sure the burns that I wasn't able to play before will work now.
I'm gonna have to tackle that 3DO soon. I really want that to just work.





No comments:
Post a Comment