Now, I was on the hunt, for no particular reason, for a model 1 Sega Genesis. Maybe because I needed a mate for my model 1 Sega Master System...apparently a 1st revision with it's reed switches and all. Anyway, I wasn't looking for any M1 Genesis; it had to be a specific one. It had to say "High Definition Graphics" and also have a certain FCC ID on the label. I've been able to find the "HDG" versions all over, but not the correct FCC ID. Reason? It'll be the first revision Genesis released to the masses. No licensing screen at boot up. Just straight to the game.
Today, I actually got to find one. I was skeptical at first, but there was another HDG one nearby and it's FCC ID was shorter. So, FINALLY, I got a M1 Genesis that was a R1, or a VA2 or whatever. I'm gonna check the board properly when I have the time.
To be fair, I did have a VA2 that I got from a relative a while ago. That has since been modded for S-Video and will possibly be RGB modded in a future mod. I just wanted to have one that was stock.
Nothing more than that, so pics...
Yay...and it was only $10.
The infamous FCC ID.
As with everything I find at thrift stores, this one was dirty as f**k!
Quick peek inside. I needed access to the power switch. More on that later.
Since I don't have a proper A/V cable for a M1 Genesis, I had to use RF to test it. This little nibblet was stuck inside the RF connector. Probably why they got rid of it.
So, the power switch on the case itself was bad. Because it was "heat sealed" into position, whoever owned it before may have forcefully hit the switch, causing the seal to break. MAY be an easy fix with either hot or super glue, but that's after I've cleaned this dirty birdie.
Along with this find, I got a couple of Gamecube games: Viewtiful Joe and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Both complete. With this, I even learned a semi-easier way to remove adhesive labels from the case. After removing the paper cover from case, I just put a moist baby wipe to soak the adhesive for a few minutes. After, I just took the baby wipe off and just rubbed the adhesive off. Came out clean. Wish I new sooner.
*pic placeholder for games*
No comments:
Post a Comment