Saturday, December 7, 2013

TG16 RErevisited...and slightly embarrassed...

I'll just let my shameful modding ways in the past show here:

This is how I left the mod when I finished it last...year...I think? Yikes! In my defense, it's my console, so I'd never let this one go (EVER!), so I wasn't to caring on how it looked.

This is the region mod using IC's that I made. Took at least 5 hrs to complete this thing (combination crappy soldering iron and ADD), and an additional 3 to install it...Yes, I left it in disarray.I'm gonna look for adhesive foam to put on the back of that board instead of  electrical tape.

...Yeah, I don't know even where to start with this thing. You have an audio preamp at the top-left of the pic. To the right you have the region change switch. To the lower left of the switch you have the S-Video circuit. Then at the bottom, there's all the power connectors to the 7805...what a mess.

Side shot of the region switch. 

This is after about 30 mins. I just tacked down wire paths with hot glue...but dumb me hot glued the region switch. I have that on disconnects...I does look a little better than the original pic, though, right?

And just the outside. Where the S-video jack stands is where I originally put the region change switch but made the hole waaaay too big. 

Now, if my day wasn't as long and tedious today, I would've cracked this open yet again to rework everything (shorten wires, resolder stuff, etc.), but just too tired to do it. I'm gonna go back in and redo it, though. I can't let this one go. 

I did manage to get better wire strippers. I lost my first cheapie set and have been using just scissors or my wire cutter to get it stripped...sometimes just frustrating. I got something like this now:

At least with this style wire stripper, I don't have to worry about smaller lengths of wire and holding them with 2 hands and potentially ruining the wire by adding too much pressure and strip more than the sheath off the wire....yup...

Anyway, I hope to get to fixing this one soon. I want to also add, at least, S-video to my PC-Engine Duo soon.

...Speaking of which, I'm also hoping to get a trade for a Power Base Converter for the Genesis that I have for a regular PC Engine. Hopefully this trade will happen soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment