Yeah, I decided to get a 1KΩ potentiometer and swap out the 5KΩ one I had in before. In fact, I had to make the journey back to the electronics store twice to get the right pot (the one I got prior had a switch on it, I needed one without it).
Did it make a difference? I think it did. With the 5KΩ on there, it seemed that full separation kicked in at a shorter turn. With the 1KΩ in, I have better control on how wide to separate the 2 channels before I they were fully separated. I've only tested the channel separation with Super Mario Bros. 3.
I did have trouble with the new pot that I got. I'm not sure if it was because how it's situated, but this pot had it's terminals numbered, so it made it that the two terminals I originally soldered to (2 & 3) resulted in both channels being separated. Using a multimeter, I checked the pot and noticed that only the terminal marked "1" and the middle terminal had some sort of resistance, where the last terminal "3" was left open. Moved the wires to 1 and 2 gave me the results that I wanted. The 5KΩ pot did not have numbered terminals...hmmm...
I also got a knob to give a cleaner look to the pot. I used (and broke 2) cutting disks from a rotary tool kit I got from my wife several years ago (didn't know I had those things in there!) to cut the pot's shaft down a bit. It sits a little off kilter (hardly noticeable...but it's a personal mod, not a commissioned one), but works nonetheless.
Other than an RGB/S-Video mod, I'm not sure if there's anything else I could do to it...maybe add a crapload of LEDs to it? We'll see...
No comments:
Post a Comment