Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Gameboy revisited...

I've had this Bung Doctor GBXchanger forever. I've since written several games to it when I was back on Maui. This was in the Windows 98 era and parallel ports were the preferred method of "hacking".

...hate parallel ports...

Anyway, the last game I've ever flashed on my GB flashcard was Beatmania GB 3...that was almost 15 years or so ago! I have been reluctant on getting it to work, just because it seemed like a chore.

Fast forward to now. A couple of weeks ago, I found a Gameboy Color while digging at Goodwill. Now I wanted to get newer games on the card!

Searched and searched on where to get the software so I can do it. Ended up using GBX Tool. I also used an old notebook computer that an in-law had laying around, not being used, with a parallel port on it. PERFECT for just this sort of thing.

Installed WinXP on the notebook, installed GBX Tool, got the GBXchanger primed, ran the program:

Cannot read card

...f**k!...

Tried another program:

Cannot find giveio.sys

searched again, tried another program:

Error windows galore!

Searching again out of frustration sent me here:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?33610-write-and-dump-a-Doctor-GB-Card-with-an-XG-Writer&p=582522&viewfull=1#post582522

I'm saving it for future reference just so I can build the USB reader they show there. But it did send me to another card flashing program. Downloaded, installed, ran it:

Cannot find giveio.sys.

...

I thought I had this file properly installed...But I guess not. Searches lead me to this site:
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eblock/pages/pictools/giveio.html

I did as it showed.

Ran FlashMaster...read the card perfectly! But it kept giving me the "Shareware" popup. I figured that now I have that file properly installed, I could try running GBX Tool again...success!

I was able to read the card, taking the old game off, and put on some new games that I've been wanting to play.

....I'm exhausted. Sorry if things look all over the place. My brain's not here, ATM.

No comments:

Post a Comment