Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Cleaning a PS3 Super Slim...

A few months ago, I found a PS3 Super Slim at RE-PC in Seattle. It was a pretty good price for what it was. But as it was a used machine at a computer/electronics recycling place, it was really dirty. The vents were all clogged with dirt, so I was pretty sure the fans were filthy as well. I used some compressed air on the vents, but that just shoved the dirt into the console itself.

...yeah, I should have known...

I sidelined the PS3 while I got some other projects done (Game Gear and the NES). Since finishing up the Lave RGB'd NES, I decided to tackle the PS3.

I did test the PS3 before I sidelined it and it booted up with no issues. I also wish I took pictures of the clogged vents prior to the first blow out as it was REALLY clogged.



I don't think these pics don't show how really dirty the PS3 was. You can see some of the dirt on the top cover there (bottom pic), the top pic was taken after doing just a quick dusting with a brush. It still looks really dirty, especially at the heatsinks and a bit of the fan blades.

...um, not pics past this point...sorry...

Anyway, while it was disassembled like this, I used my rechargeable air duster with a brush attachment to clean it. I just used the air duster at it's highest speed and went to town blowing all the dust out. Cleaned out the power supply, fan, heatsinks, upper board, Blu-ray drive, and all the parts of the top cover. Usually I'd take it to the kitchen and do a full scrub down, but with all the gears for the sliding door mechanism, I opted not to. Instead, I used alcohol and a toothbrush to, at least, clean the the top cover.

I reassembled it and tested it again, just to make sure. Happy to say that it worked just fine. It also read discs with no issues! 

I will get a larger hard drive and hack it later. RE-PC usually has some hard drives available, so I'll check it out next time I head up there.

Well, until next time...Preview of possible next project?


Undoing this garbage from a really old mod.

No comments:

Post a Comment