Sunday, March 10, 2024

Made a mini Neo Geo Controller...

I don't recall when I got it, but a friend of mine gave me some old wireless Xbox 360 joysticks that, at that point, I really had no use for. What I ended up doing was gutting it and rewired it to a DB15 connector to make another Neo Geo joystick. It worked well for what it was, but it was just like the original Neo Geo joysticks: big and bulky.

I just threw it in a bin of miscellaneous controllers that I had.

Fast forward a few years to now. I really wanted to be able to play my Neo Geo CD at my desk, but I really didn't like the bulky controller whenever I wanted to play. I did get some BlueRetro dongles to eliminate the use of bulky joysticks, but I never got around to reprogramming them for the way I wanted the button configurations to be...which I will, soon. I figured I had a 3D printer that I could make some sort of case with and just strip the controller that I had made into this smaller case.

It took a little finessing, but here it is after all that's said and done. Some of the button holes needed to be widened a bit, which caused some of the layers to crack a little (I printed this case before I did the improvements on it). There was a lot of soldering, grinding, cutting, and drilling to make this work.

The case in the back is where I harvested all the parts for this mini controller. Still not the classiest looking thing, but it works as it should. It fits on my desk fine with the Neo Geo CD on my desk, but it will work fine sitting on the keyboard drawer that sits below.

This was a fun project to work on, albeit relatively easy. The best part is that all the parts were recycled from an old joystick. I'll probably do another joystick similar to this (3D printed) for my PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment