Saturday, November 17, 2018

Slowly getting back into the habit...but...

Man, my soldering job is atrocious!

I haven't soldered an SOIC (Small Outline Integrated Circuit), and some of the videos I've seen online make it seem easy to do.

...it wasn't...

Well, I tried to be clever and do a drag solder it into position, but it got really gloppy. My solder wick is really loose, so it kept leaving strands here and there, but after some coaxing, I got it out. 

...BTW, I was working on an Atari Jaguar with power problems...also, don't use an adapter from an NES to power ANYTHING! Get rid of it and use a model 1 Genesis adapter. 

Anyway, I was able to get both SOICs installed and replace a blown capacitor...about that...I had the hardest time removing said cap, even as a through-hole component. My solder sucker, as well as it kinda served me in the past, is now not really the best thing for removing said components. I was able to free up one hole, but the one connected to the larger ground plane was being a nuisance. I just ended up bending the leg on the capacitor and connected it directly to the blob there while getting the other side installed properly.

...I failed to mention that I got the 2 SOICs off using a hot air rework station I'm borrowing from a friend...I need to get me one of those...comes in real handy.

Since I had the solder station out, I figured I'd try fixing an Xbox One controller that had a bad analog stick. I've been meaning to do this for months, but I was too lazy to dig out my soldering station.

Using my old solder sucker, I was able to pretty much remove all the solder where I needed to from the stick. It took some time, especially with the ground points, but I managed to coax it out from the board and replace it with no problems. Needless to say, the controller is as good as new.


I mentioned that I got a PC Engine Duo R from PRGE last month, that had issues with RGB as it wasn't displaying colors properly (Doujindance modded). Well, I got it to work, fairly easily too.

...Quick note, I bought an OSSC that'll take an RGB signal to HDMI through DVI-D...tested it with what I had, and it works awesomely!






Anyway, what had happened was that when I was cleaning out my tool box, I came upon the SCART cable that I got with an RGB board for the PC Engine several years back. So I figured, I'll try that out on the OSSC.

...It worked! The colors were perfect! I lucked out on a good deal all because of a bad cable!

But in the same process, I killed my version 1 Turbo Everdrive.

A sad day indeed....but I have a version 2...that doesn't work with a Doujindance modded console.

I'm planning on taking out the mod currently in the PC Engine and update both the region and RGB mods in it, but I need to remove all the epoxy used on all the parts of the mod...oh boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment