Monday, August 22, 2016

Back from vaca and some stuff...

Before I went on vacation, I found a decent looking Gameboy Pocket at a Goodwill Outlet. It was a bit grungy, but I figured it might be worth a shot to see if it worked OK.

...it didn't. Didn't power on at all.

I opened it up to see if there was some corrosion that could easily be cleaned off, but it wasn't that easy. There was a spill inside, and it got all over the components on the mainboard. I tried a quick degunking with alcohol and swabs, but it didn't work.

...had to go a little deeper than that.

I ended up taking it to the sink and scrubbing it with an old toothbrush and dish soap until all the gunk came off. I pretty much let it dry for almost 3 weeks. Coming back from vaca, I had a little time tonight to do a quick reassemble and test.

...lo and behold, it powered on! All I need to do now is clean up the case itself and it's good to go (I hope).

During vaca, a sale thread came up on a Facebook group I'm in. A friend of mine tagged me in a post. It had a Sega Master System 2 in it for a good price! I immediately PM'd the seller to see if he could hold it for me until I got back from vaca, but my friend insisted that he'd get it for me, possibly for me helping him move and whatnot a couple of months back.

...for the record, I'd help a friend out for free...or at least for food. So this was an awesome gesture.

Other than the controller it came with, the console worked perfectly! I just got it disassembled to get it cleaned up and possibly modded for A/V/S-Video mods later.

There are more things to include, but it's late and I was excited to blog again, even for little things like this.

I'll put pics up later...maybe I might go over what I did on vacation soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment