Sunday, October 20, 2013

Someone define the dilemma here...

I've traversed my fair share of forum posts. The one that constantly comes up is piracy...of older game console's games.

My question is this...Why is such a hot-button issue?

Take, for instance, the original Sega CD.

Sega no longer supports the console.
They don't re-release games from CD to, say virtual console.
They don't get a dime from any sales made today.

Who wins from all this?

Sega? No. They're getting monies from new games for new consoles (New Sonic, anyone?)

Does Nintendo get a cut of an NES or SNES cart I just picked up from a thrift store?

Will Sony and Rockstar Games get a cut of the $1 I spent to get GTA 3?

The one thing I can only think of that piracy of older games hurt is the resellers.

You know, the ones that sell "graded" stuff for 100x more than the game was worth at it's initial release date, now it's stuck inside a plastic case, never to be played?

Or the ones that sell loose games for 20x more than retail because it's rare? Do I want this rare game, even if it's crappy?

I might be missing something here, but really. If I want a flash card for all my cartridge based systems, or burn a CD/DVD for my disc based system, I'm going to do it. The company that produced it 20 years ago isn't getting a cut from its sales anymore.

CTFD, you nonchalant resellers. Someone will be suckered into buying your overpriced wares.

...however, Windy Gaming isn't pulling this crap. The owner is truly a gamer, and only sells to gamers, not other resellers. Top notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment