Monday, February 25, 2013

NES "Stereo" Mod redux and an extension cable for the PC Engine...

I FINALLY got to break in my new soldering station. Took some getting used to, but the fact that it heats up quick makes it easy to get the project going and continue without unplugging and whatnot.

Anyway, I changed the "Stereo" mod up in that NES I did a while back. There was a tutorial, so to speak, that I saw that had no potentiometer. So, I went in, removed the mixer potentiometers inside, and hooked it up straight like that...Sounds a little better than with the mixer in there. I left it as is. 

*pic placeholder*

I also did an audio mod, adding a resistor to the unused expansion connector. This allows extra sound channels or something from Famicom games that have them. 

*pic placeholder*

I also, for the heck of it, made an extension cable using some cabling that I had and connectors I got from Fry's. 

*pic placeholder*

The stock cable from original PCE controller was too short (~3ft or something ridiculous like that). I used a 6 foot cable and extended that ishh. Now I can lounge on the couch while playing some old skool Ninja Spirit or Bonk's Adventure or something. 

Since I have the soldering station out, I'm going back in to clean up an old mod I did on a Model 1 VA7 (crappy model 1) Genesis. Maybe I might put that up for sale with all the spare Genesis carts I have from that score I got a while ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment