Friday, November 25, 2011

So begins my adventure in "Consolizing"...

Consolizing: the process of modifying an arcade video game board for use on a standard television set.

That's my plan. On what, though?

Possibly one of the most coveted consoles in the world: The Neo Geo.

But why consolize the arcade board? Don't they have a home system?

Yes, but the games for them are expensive. The AES (Advanced Entertainment System, AKA home console) carts are identical to their MVS (Mutli Video System, AKA arcade) carts. MVS carts online go for much cheaper than AES carts.

But don't they have a converter for the home system so you can do that? Why go through all the trouble?

There is a converter out there, but it's still pricey. An AES console plus the converter would cost just about as much as a decently made CMVS (Consolized Multi Video System)...ok, not so much. I like just the idea of making something work originally for arcade use and make it work for home use.

AAAAANYWHO, I've already began taking the steps to make my own CMVS. I've already acquired an MVS MV1F board and 2 MVS games; KOF 94 (my ALL TIME favorite fighter) and KOF 95. Just gonna wait on getting controllers (might just build a control pad based on plans I've seen online), an RGB encoder (Neobitz encoder board, ~$90), UniBIOS, and some power supplies, connectors, and....hmmm, I think that might be it.

So I'll be using this space to document my work. Right now, I'm thanking Neo-Geo.com, Jamma-Nation-X.com, and Neobitz for all the help so far. More pics and docs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment