Monday, October 20, 2025

Some new projects coming up in the *near* future...

So, remember a while back when I accidentally killed 2 of my Game Gears? Well, one was dead even after a recap and I killed the other one trying to install an LCD mod. Well, I might be able to revive at least one of them for now. 

I was able to pick up an SYF Game Gear mainboard from High Score! Tech supply a few weeks ago. I've been checking the site daily since August to check availability of the board. Randomly, I checked the site late one night before I went to bed and saw that they were available! I was gonna scoop up 2 of them, but the site owner mentioned that he will be carrying the v2 revision of the board soonish. So, just that I have at least one to revive (the one that wouldn't work even after the recap), I ordered one.

 I did get it after a week or so, but I haven't started the process just yet. I plan on getting a different LCD screen replacement in the near future. Once I'm able to get it, I'll start the rebuild process. 

 As much as I want to get this project done, I'm not looking forward to some of the things that I need to do. Primarily, I need to remove the ASIC from the dead Game Gear mainboard, the cartridge port, and the external port. The external port and cartridge connector are through-hole parts, so desoldering those would be easier. The ASIC, however, needs to be removed from the mainboard using a combination of a high temp heat pad and hot air rework.I did get some tools that will make that IC removal easier, but I'm still a little apprehensive about the removal.

Since I was in the mood, I ended up getting another GameCube to mod. I didn't feel like going to PRGE again this year, but my niece was going. I asked her to look for one for me. She did manage to find one for me, but I forgot to mention to look for a certain model for me. I wasn't specific about looking for a DOL-001; the one she found for me was a DOL-101. That's on me, I wasn't thinking.

I've been doing research about fully modding a 101. There are many mods I can do to it that takes a little more effort (read: a lot of soldering). I've already saved some stuff that I'm planning to buy so when I'm done with the Game Gear, I can start on the GameCube. Hopefully, the Game Gear rebuild will be done without many hiccups. 

Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment