My co-worker and I have been discussing mods for PS3, PS2, and PS1. He's been thinking about modding all his old PlayStations. So I've been suggesting some YouTube videos that I have followed. He managed to get his PS3 modded and working perfectly. That made me take a look at all my old PlayStations.
There are some new PS2 mods recently, the newest one being Multi-purpose Memory Card Emulator (MMCE). It uses either an open source PS2 memory card (SD2PSX) or the Memory Card Pro 2 from 8-bit Mods. I opted for one that I found on Aliexpress from BitfunX that is based off the SD2PSX. I followed a tutorial from Tito of Macho Nacho Productions to get my SD card set up and read for when the memory card came in.
I got the SD card loaded with the proper files and put it in the memory card as soon as it arrived. I did all the settings that Tito mentioned in his tutorial on OPL, but it wasn't loading the games I had on the memory card properly. To make it work, I had to change the timing settings that Tito mentioned back to what the original settings were.
I also spent some time to get my old setup on the PS2 updated. With my old Free McBoot memory card, I updated it so it would work a bit better with my 1TB hard drive and also another old SD to memory card to load games (MX4SIO). I really don't use the MX4SIO as much anymore, but it probably will come in handy if I need to test a game or something in the future. It wasn't much when I purchased it (~$20), and I did buy it from a well known creator in the retro gaming community, so the cost is justified.
I then moved on to the PS3. It's been a while since I've played with the custom firmware (CFW) that I had installed back in 2018...at least that's what the last homebrew I installed said. I first took care of updating all the apps that I needed for installing and playing backups. It took a few minutes to get that all up to date and tested.
I went and tried to remember how to install disc images to the hard drive. I've tried both disc images and package (pkg) files. I had to check some YouTube videos on how to get the disc images on the drive, but the pkg files needed a better refresher course on getting to work. I had to install a few more apps to get the downloaded pkg files to work properly.
I spent the last few days getting games installed and tested. The main game I wanted to really play through was a game called Folklore. I remember trying the demo and thought it was a pretty neat game. I spent a few hours playing it and having fun.
I'm planning on getting my PSP and PS Vita updated as well. It's been some time since I've messed around with them. I'm really not worried about my PSX, as I already have one modded with an XStation ODE. I have another one that needs to have an XStation installed, but I'll have to do that on another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment