I've been getting better at using my desoldering gun removing the PPU. I removed the PPU, soldered in the IC socket, and installed the NESRGB (it was already set up). I also soldered in a helper board to the multi-out.
I did a quick wire up to test connections. Other than a bit of a scratchy sound output, all connections (RGB, S-Video, and composite) worked perfect. So, before finishing up the wiring, I took the case and cleaned it up. I retrobrighted the top part of the case for a few days.
While the top was in the UV box, I went ahead and started the wiring of the NESRGB to the multi-out. I needed to modify the bottom case and shielding to make room for the wires, so I snipped of the parts of the shielding, then finished it off by getting rid of the burrs with a rotary tool. I also used the rotary tool to remove some of the plastic from the bottom case.
I wired it in the same manner I did mine, nice and tight to the board. The helper board helps with the wire up since I'm not soldering directly to the multi-out's pins.
After about 3 days in the UV box, I took the top case out and washed it. I wanted to put a power LED indicator, similar to what I did to my top loading NES. So I took an LED out from the old Famicom (that the NESRGB came from), drilled a hole in the same spot, and stuffed the LED in there.
It's a little brighter than I'd usually use, but I was out of LEDs.
Post test shows everything works fine. The sound issue seemed to disappear as well after final assembly. How? I don't know.
Anyway, another mod done. On to more!




No comments:
Post a Comment