I didn't take pics. I didn't have my phone while I was doing the thing...anyway.
Once upon a time, before the pandemic and everyone was free to do what they want, I found an N64 controller. Like most controllers that you find at a thrift store, the analog joystick was hash, buttons bad, and so covered with grime, I required a ton of hand sanitizer to feel clean after touching it. I should have left it where it lay, but at $2, I couldn't say no. I took it home and put it in a large zip top bag in order to hopefully kill anything that could have been potentially living in it.
About 4 months after, I finally had the mind to take it apart. Wearing nitrile gloves, I went and painstakingly started to disassemble the controller, separating the main case screws from the internal parts screws into smaller zip top bags. I removed all the rubbers and the buttons and sidelined them. I took the PCB out, then put the main controller shell back in the bag.
With the analog joystick finally out, I went ahead and took that apart. I was greeted with plastic dust, and a worn nub on the joystick itself. I knew that I would need to either replace or even try to print a new piece to replace just the joystick. If I was going to replace it, should I get an OEM replacement, an after market one, or a different style analog replacement, similar to a Gamecube controller. While I went back and fourth on how to proceed, I put all the parts together back into the bag and sidelined it.
...one and a half years later...
I so happened to have this bag fall back into my lap. Still sitting, apart and uncleaned. I figured that it was finally time to finish this thing up. First thing to do was order a new stick for it. I ended up getting a Gamecube style replacement joystick for it.
While waiting until the joystick got delivered, I turned to getting the rubbers and plastics cleaned. Instead of the usual method of a hot, soapy water soak and scrub, I used an ultrasonic cleaner. It was a little time consuming, since I needed to have the water in the cleaner heated up and ready to go, but it made cleaning all the little nooks and crannies super easy.
Tonight, I was able to finalize the reassembly of the controller. I had to take a trip to iFixit in order to reassemble it right...you know, since it's been a while since I took it apart. Took out one of my N64's and my Everdrive 64 x7 to test the newly refurbed controller.
Happy to say that it works perfectly. A lot of complaints about the Gamecube style joystick replacement is how sensitive the controls become. I feel like that, since I'm used to current gen analog controls, the stick replacement is ok...not perfect in any sense, but ok. I have a controller test ROM on the Everdrive that I used, and it showed how all over the place the joystick actually is.
Do I really care that it does that?
No, not really.
Super Mario 64 played just fine, driving games were a little squirrely. Again, to I really care?
And still, the answer is no.
Did I really need another N64 controller? Actually, yes. I have no idea where my other controllers went, so having this as a backup is great.
No comments:
Post a Comment