Monday, June 7, 2021

Galaga cab, DONE pretty much...

Long stretch between posts, but I've been actually playing games. I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima like mad since the last post, and I just finished it the other day. Such a fun game!

In between game sessions of Ghost, I was working on finally finishing up the Galaga cabinet and getting the monitor straight without a gap between the monitor and the glass. I laid some blue tape to line up the edge of the original monitor on the glass. I extended the tape line to the control panel and used a straight edge to line up the LCD monitor and fidgeted with the monitor until the monitor edges lined up with the blue tape line. It took some time, but got it done and all secured.

I did notice that the buttons don't work on the monitor anymore. That was a byproduct of removing the bezel to paint it. I'm not sure that I want to mess with it anymore, but part of it is that, on some games, the top of the game is cut off a bit, mainly the Pac-Man games. I'll have to revisit this if it really starts getting to me...which, knowing my OCD, I'll have to do real soon.


For the past 3 years, I've been working on getting cabs looking good. The Neo Geo was the first cab I got. The monitor has been recapped, control panel cleaned up and new buttons installed. Mainboard battery changed out and cleaned.

The Atomiswave was just a fun experiment to get it to where it is now. From parts all over the garage when I initially had it to store "temporarily" from a friend to where it is now. Cabinet reconstructed to it's original form, JAMMA harness wired up, monitor finally wired up and tested after getting the one really important part that was needed to get it finally glow up. Add a Raspberry Pi for multi console emulation and now it's a great multicade!

The Galaga cab was a doozy. Messy wiring cleaned up and connectors properly made. Monitor issues finally taken care of. New control panel for vertical game fun. Happy with it now that I have it better than it was when I first got it. 

There might be one more I'd want to get, but I'm not sure if I want to buy one or build one. Stay tuned, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment