Thursday, September 24, 2015

Yay, cheap stuff on eBay!...

On September 17th, I won an auction for a Neo Geo CD. It was for the console only, so no controllers or cables or the power supply.

I've contemplated looking online for an adapter for it, but they fetch a pretty high price tag. Not willing to pay about the same amount I bought the console for.

Enter power supply hacks for the Neo CD. I came up to THIS POST. The OP used an adapter that had a Molex style connector used in PC drives. (LINK). I do have that type of adapter, but I was thinking for future mounting of the connector, making it look stock.

I then remembered an old IDE external drive that I had. The power supply had roughly the same amperage as the above mentioned one, but a different connector.

...yeah...


So, what to do?

Well, the enclosure stopped working, so I just raided the PCB for the connector. In the process of desoldering the connector, I broke off one of the legs. Not a real problem; I took the connector apart and see that I can just solder a bit of wire to it. Doesn't matter since it's a ground pin, and if I need to, I can get another connector online or just mod the connector later.

The Neo CD did arrive today, but no one was home to accept delivery. So I just have to take a trip to the post office tomorrow to pick it up. I'll do a quick solder to the power points on the drive and test it out. If it works (the listing said it was tested and working), then I'm gonna permanently mod the connector.

Stay tuned...even if I post the results later than tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment