Sunday, February 1, 2015

Atari 2600 Jr. and Coleco Gemini AV mod on the horizon...

I've been meaning to mod at least the Gemini for several years now, but I could never find a schematic for the TIA chip (where you need to tap for video signals). Well, back in 2013, another blog I've been following had some of the pinouts "guessed" out (meaning that he's tested the points and they're pretty darn close to what the OG Atari TIA chip was.

It's now 2015. Searches yield more information. I found and updated pinout that I can use. I've decided to go the mod board route through Electronic Sentimentalities. I may try to socket the TIA in the Gemini in order to not worry about cutting resistors, but I guess there's no harm if I try cut the resistors anyway.

There was also a retro gaming swap meet the other week, so I managed to pick up an Atari 2600 Jr. It was kinda clean (the usual dirt and a small chips), but only today was I able to really check it out. Come to find out that the nubs that press the cartridge clips on the 2600 games broke off. Without that, most of the games that I have won't work.

...damn...

I did have some games that didn't have the clips on them and the console worked fine in all it's RF glory. At least that's good.

I took the Jr. apart for cleaning. I looked at the top cover where the cartridge slot was, contemplating on how I was gonna fix it. I grabbed a cart that didn't have the clips or the protector and found that there's a way for me to fix it. When I get around to it, I'll take pics of the fix.

In the meantime, I have other projects laid out, including the one I mentioned at the beginning of the year. I have a SNES cleaning to do as well as a Virtual Boy fix that I have to research.

No comments:

Post a Comment